10 QUESTIONS TO ASK WHEN GETTING A
PROFESSIONAL PAINTING QUOTE!
10 QUESTIONS TO ASK WHEN GETTING A PROFESSIONAL PAINTING QUOTE!
There is a lot you need to know before hiring a painter for your interior or exterior painting job. The team at Brad McDonnell Painting & Decorating in Victoria has put together a quick Q&A that you can go through when you contact a painting company.
1. ARE THEY A MEMBER OF THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU?
Don’t hesitate to phone and check to see if they are up to date and in good standing.
2. ARE THEY INSURED FOR LIABILITY TO YOUR PROPERTY?
At least one million dollars.
3. DOES WORKERS COMPENSATION BOARD COVER THEIR EMPLOYEES? IF THEY ARE THE PERSON DOING THE WORK, ARE THEY COVERED BY W.C.B.?
The law states it’s not mandatory for sole proprietors to be covered.
4. ARE THEY WELL-KNOWN AND ESTABLISHED?
How many years have they been in business and do they provide references? Are they able to supply all materials?
5. DO THEY PROVIDE A GUARANTEE OF THEIR WORK?
Exterior: 1-3 years. Interior: 3-5 years.
6. DO THEY REQUIRE A DEPOSIT PRIOR TO WORK BEING DONE?
If they are an established company, they should not require any down payment for materials or labour, as they should have a cash float and be able to charge for their materials.
7. DO THEY RECOMMEND WASHING ALL THE EXTERIOR SURFACES PRIOR TO PAINTING AND IF SO, HOW SOON AFTER DO THEY START PAINTING?
95% of all exterior surfaces should be washed; If not visibly dirty, they can be chalky because of surface oxidation. Also, the wood should not have a moisture content of more than 15% – approximately 1-3 weeks dry time.
8. WHAT TYPE OF PAINT DO THEY USE?
Each major paint supplier carries approximately 2-3 lines of quality paint. Which line do they use?
9. DO THEY HIRE PROFESSIONALS?
You should expect full-time professional painters and not a part-time painter/handyman.
10. DO THEY PROVIDE YOU WITH A FULLY DETAILED WRITTEN ESTIMATE?
Never agree to an oral or vaguely written estimate.